Midsummer (Juhannus in Finnish) marks the exodus of Finns from the city to their lakeshore summer houses. While Finns enjoy spending time with their family and friends on this national holiday, there is a gloomier side to the story as well: This is often the weekend that the largest number of drownings are recorded in Finland.
Guessing how many people drown during Midsummer is a popular pastime at Finnish workplaces. We wanted to invite everyone to participate in the fun, hence the Midsummer Bingo.
Don’t Be a Statistic!
Our bingo gently reminds us all that most drownings could be avoided if only we acted a little more wise and civilized. Maybe didn’t drink quite so heavily or, at least, stayed on solid ground after doing so. We should always wear a life vest when on a boat, and take a friend with us when we go swimming. With these little, seemingly obvious deeds, the number of drownings could be greatly reduced.
Prepare Yourself for Finnish Summer
We would also like to remind you that even though it is summer here and the sun stays up all night long, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's warm. Therefore, we recommend wearing the best material to keep you comfortable in almost any weather:merino wool
In addition, you might wanna consider wrapping yourself in some waterproof clothing that will help with the mosquito attacks as well. There, you're all set!
To motivate us all not to drown, our main prize, a Varusteleka gift card, is more valuable the fewer people drown. The main prize is raffled off between the participants who get the number of drownings right. Starting from 1000 € if no one drowns, and decreasing as follows:
|Number of drowned people:
|1000 € gift card
|750 € gift card
|500 € gift card
|350 € gift card
|150 € gift card
|100 € gift card
|More than 5 persons
|50 € gift card
This year we have great additional prizes as well. We are raffling off two Särmä merino wool hoodies and two Särmä TST combat packs with padded shoulder straps among all the participants. The winner will be able to decide which size and color they want.
Participation entry is now closed for the 2023 Midsummer Bingo!
It seems that this year our propaganda has been effective and only 1 drowning had been reported by Monday! This means that the lucky winner will receive a 750 € gift card. Here are the winners:
- Gift card: Jani L.
- CP15 combat pack: Jouni J. and Nenna H.
- Merinowool hoodie: Mikko T. and Oskari S.
- Fill in the form with your name and contact information, and guess the number of people drowning in Finland during Midsummer this year.
- A temporary register will be created and the information used for announcing the results and contacting the winners. The register will be purged after the raffle.
- The participation form will close on June 22, 4 pm UTC+3. You may participate only once!
- We will check the number of drowned people from the most reliable Finnish yellow press newspaper, Iltalehti, on the following Monday, June 26. The winners will be contacted on June 27, 2023.
- The main prize will be raffled off among those who guessed the correct number of drownings. In case no there are no right answers, the winner will be randomly picked from all the participants and rewarded a € 100 gift card. The additional prizes will be raffled among all the participants. The winners will be contacted through e-mail after the raffle.
- The first name and the first letter of the last name of the winners may be published on Varuseleka's web site, social media and newsletter.
- You are allowed to save people from drowning in Finland, but it's strictly forbidden to try to influence the number by drowning yourself or other people. If the winner has drowned in Finland or is suspected of drowning someone in Finland, we'll select another winner. Drowning yourself or others in another country does not affect the outcome.