Särmä TST Clothing systemShare on Facebook
A comprehensive and functional four-season clothing system designed foremost for the Finnish military end-user. Our system offers significant improvements in weight-saving, comfort and functionality when compared to their Finnish Defence Forces standard issue counterparts. The less of a bottleneck your clothing and gear is the better you can focus on the task at hand.
The system is based on layered clothing principles and comprises everything from lightweight underwear to extreme weather shell garments, including regular field uniforms.
While the M05 camo pattern is a Finnish invention, the M05 Woodland, Winter, and Snow Camo, and the M04 Desert Camo variations work equally well anywhere in the world with appropriate terrains.
Dress properly - perform better
Our clothing system has all the necessary components to assemble functional outfits for varying seasons, weather conditions and missions. The simple truth is that you will sweat when straining, freeze when it´s freezing and get wet when it rains - even properly layered clothing is not going to change these laws of nature, but they will minimize the effects of elements on your performance.
All individual garments in our system are assigned to a specific level, each of which plays a specific part in the grander picture. The levels can be coarsely divided into two main categories: underwear - anything worn between your skin and your camouflage/shell garments, and outerwear - everything worn on top of your lower layers to protect them and you from the elements, abrasion and surveillance.
Choose what to wear based on the season, weather and your presumed activity level of the day. Don´t wear too much, as removing lower layers quickly can be a hassle. Instead, carry the appropriate extra layers of specific clothing you might need during breaks and other drops from the usual activity level. Our shell layers are designed for quick and easy donning and doffing over regular clothing and even load-bearing equipment.
The primary functions of these layers are moisture management and thermal insulation. Proper lower layers help regulate your thermal load in varying conditions, thus contributing towards overall comfort and performance.
Lightweight and breathable materials provide good moisture management but are also vulnerable to abrasion. In the field, appropriate outerwear should always be worn both for camouflage and protection.
- Level 1 - Base Layer: Lightweight blended merino wool garments for four-season use. A good next-to-skin base layer keeps you relatively comfortable in even the most extreme weather conditions, to do this it needs to be lightweight and effectively moisture wicking. A lightweight merino wool blend is a natural and very functional material for this purpose.
- Level 2 - Mid Layer: Midweight blended merino wool garments for cold weather use. This layer offers moderate thermal insulation whilst wicking moisture outwards from the body and base layer. These garments can also be worn next-to-skin offering further flexibility to the system.
- Level 3 - Insulation Layer: Lightweight windproof and low loft insulated garments. The unlined windproof garments are designed to offer a wind-resistant and air trapping barrier between your underwear and outer garments. The low loft insulated garments offer insulation and warmth required in extremely cold weather. Lightweight, quick drying and highly breathable fabrics guarantee effective moisture management and packability. Designed to be worn under the field uniform for added insulation, also work on their own.
These garments offer protection from surrounding terrain, surveillance and the varying weather conditions of the four seasons. Breathable materials and ventilation zippers minimize thermal load, adding to the systems moisture management properties.
Finnish Defence Forces NIR-spec compliant camouflage prints provide near-infrared signature reduction.
- Level 4 - Field Wear: Protective outer layer fieldwear for four-season use. These garments can be regarded as "standard camouflage dress", they provide protection against the outside world through camouflage and abrasion resistance. Breathable materials and ventilation options provide moisture management and thermal regulation. Designed to work with any type of load bearing equipment.
- Level 5 - Thermal Shell: High-loft insulated shell garments for cold weather use. Moisture and wind-resistant yet breathable materials and ventilation zippers minimize thermal load. Quick layering on and off is a key feature of these garments, saving precious time when activity levels drop for occasional or prolonged static duty. Worn over or as a substitute for regular fieldwear.
- Level 6 - Waterproof Shell: Waterproof shell garments for wet weather use. Waterproof and breathable laminate fabrics and construction provide full protection from rain and wind whilst ventilation zippers minimize thermal load. Quick layering on and off is a key feature of these garments, saving precious time when the weather suddenly changes. Worn over or as a substitute for regular fieldwear.
- Level 7 - Camouflage: These garments provide additional advanced camouflage in varying environments. The winter and snow camouflage are perfect for the northern hemisphere. Designed to layer over all your other clothing and fighting load to ensure the best VIS/NIR effect possible and to help manage your thermal signature.