Savotta Jääkäri M backpack, M05 camouflage
For a long time we preached that the "Light Border Patrol" pack was the best Finnish military pack ever. Well, not anymore: the Jääkäri M pack claimed that prize! Based on the Light Border Patrol Pack the Jääkäri M is a natural heir to the throne, an updated modern daypack, a sturdy one that carries even a few days worth of supplies comfortably. Versatile and incredibly tough, a proper quality pack for demanding use. This pack was formerly known as "Jääkärireppu".
Jääkäri is Finnish for Jaeger, traditional Prussian name for fighting infantrymen and a title still proudly used in the Finnish military.
This model is made of 1000D Foxdura fabric with the Finnish M05 camouflage pattern.
A light border patrol pack evolved
The "Jääkäri M" is based on Savotta's famous "Kevyt Rajapartio" (Light Border Patrol, a daypack developed in the late '90s for our border troops), but it's a step up the evolutionary ladder. The starting point is still the same: a narrow, medium sized pack that doesn't interfere with movement in tight spaces or heavy woodlands.
The main changes include the swapping of all old metal buckles for quality ITW Nexus Delrin plastic buckles, the addition of PALS webbing to all sides of the back and deleting ye olde thermos flask holder for a modern hydration bladder pouch. On top of that the updated lid and strap construction makes overpacking and compression far better than before. The result is a high-quality modern daypack that performs equally well in daily urban use as it does on 24-48h or longer hikes and missions.
- Dimensions approx 55 x 27 x 20 cm, volume roughly 30 litres (not counting overpacking). Weight roughly 2 kg.
- Large main compartment, covered by a tightly shaped flap and waterproof drawcord collar.
- The flap is a floating lid, it can be raised from the neck if you need to overpack the pack or carry large bundles on the top.
- Inside the flap is a zipper pouch for valuables etc.
- The main compartment is also accessible from the side through a long zipper, making pulling out those little trinkets quickly so much easier! The zipper has two pullers so you can open it from any point, bottom, middle or top.
- Side compression straps with quick side release buckles, compresses the pack to a neat package when half full. These can also be used to strap extra kit to the outside of the pack.
- Both sides have open pockets on the bottom for securing axe handles, poles etc. These also work for small canteens and flasks, just secure the neck of the bottle with the compression strap.
- Two webbing loops on the bottom of the back for securing long shovel, pick or axe handles.
- The straps that close the top lid also run around the bottom of the pack, this helps compress the pack from all sides and also take some of the strain off from the (incredibly tough 1000D Cordura) fabric.
- Attachment points for utility sraps on the bottom. Excellent place to lash a sleeping mat or bag to.
- Hydration bladder mesh pouch on the inside against the back. Fits a Source WLPS bladder perfectly.
Hydration tube or antenna ports on both sides of the top of the pack.
The fabric is PUR coated waterproof and extremely tough 1000D Foxdura. All hardware is military grade too, the buckles are made by ITW Nexus and zippers by Kroko of Belgium. The materials, construction and attention to detail are all top-notch!
Made by Finn-Savotta Oy
Founded in 1955 Finn-Savotta, or just Savotta, is known for their simplistic and extremely rugged designs. For decades Savotta has been the go-to supplier of hiking gear for the Finnish civilian market and combat gear and tents for the defence forces.
Today Savotta operates two factories, one in Karstula, Finland, where they make all their tents and metal components and one in Estonia where they do about 50% of their sewing.
Savotta Jääkäri L rucksack, M05 woodland camo
Savotta Kevyt Rajapartio rucksack
Särmä TST Backpack cover
Foxa Action Camo waterproof fabric, M05 summer woodland, by the metre
Särmä TST L4 Field Jacket
Särmä TST General purpose pouch XL
Särmä TST L5 Thermal Anorak
Särmä TST General purpose pouch S
Särmä TST General purpose pouch L
Särmä TST General purpose pouch M
Särmä TST M05 hood
Savotta Jääkäri M backpack
Source WLPS hydration reservoir, 3L
Finnish sleeping mat
You have already submitted a review. You can edit your text by clicking on it.
Log in and write a review.
Mika K. 27.09.2017
Erno H. 09.11.2017 (Edited 09.11.2017)
Jeremias Y. 18.12.2018
Iain L. 18.02.2019
paul h. 20.03.2019
The side zip means you get to stuff more like a duffle bag which is helpful. All in a great day sack for hunting, fishing and hiking.