Särmä TST RP80 recon pack
The RP80 is a large, top and bottom loading sustainment pack that carries enough gear to keep you going for weeks. Although streamlined and straightforward the pack design offers almost endless possibilities for modular scaling and optimizing.
Designed for the Nordic end-user, this requires large backpacks to be tall and slim, not short and wide as most European and American designs. This design keeps the weight closer and above your center of gravity and spine and allows for unrestricted arm movement when skiing.
- Volume 80 l (4882 in3)
- Weight: 3800 g (complete)
- Main bag only: 1700 g
- Frame only: 740 g
- Shoulder harness only: 600 g
- Hip belt only: 750 g
- Adjustable carry system for user heights 160-200 cm
- Roll-top top closure, zipper access at the bottom
- Cinch cord divider inside main bag
- Hydration compartment inside main bag
- Large open bottom corner pouches
- Side and bottom compression straps
- PALS webbing on main bag and hip belt
- Quick release shoulder harness for emergency ditching
- 1000D Cordura
- PES webbing
- DUR-aluminium (frame)
- Metal and ITW plastic buckles
- All materials are NIR compliant
Assembly and height adjustment
The RP80 is delivered unassembled. Assemby and adjustment is your first challenge before taking your new pack into service. Understanding the construction, assembly and height adjustment of the pack are all equally important, so assemble and adjust with thought and care! Here are detailed instructions for RP80 pack assembly and adjustment.
The pack bag
- Dimensions 85 x 37 x 25 cm + bottom corner pouches
- Total volume 80 liters (4882 in3)
- Two large bottom corner pouches. Volume approx. 2,5 liters per pouch
- Drawcord divider inside, top compartment height 60 cm, bottom compartment height 25 cm
- Roll top closure on top
- Zippered bottom access with two security/compression straps
- Two compression straps on each side
- Hydration bladder compartment inside
- Uninterrupted PALS matrix goes around the whole upper half of the bag
- Two vertical attachment point straps along the back
- Two fixed carry handles on the back of the main bag
- Comes with three carry handle straps which can be attached wherever you want them!
The RP80 carrying system was designed from scratch instead of just using some ancient FInnish military designs or components. The end result is superior comfort in comparison to the old Finnish military issue systems. One of the most valuable feature of the RP80 carrying system is the adjustable back length. The system can be adjusted to fit users from 160 up to 200 cm tall.
The frame was designed especially for the RP80 rucksack, we didn´t simply take some outdated design and recycle it. Compared to the decades old Finnish military issue frames this one has a bottom shelf, wider and taller overall dimensions and two parallel vertical reinforcement rods on both sides of the center instead of a single centered one.
The padding is thermal moulded and stitched onto 1000D Cordura on top of which all the straps etc. are bartacked. What really sets this design apart from the old Finnish military issue harnesses is the big pads against the back which really make a great difference compared to just a flat length of wide webbing.
The rucksacks back length and overall fit is adjusted by lowering or lifting the attachment height of the shoulder harness. The load lifter straps that run from the top of the shoulder harness to the frame are used to adjust balance on the go, by loosening the straps the pack hangs further away from your body and the weight is transferred onto the hips. By tightening the straps the pack moves closer to your body and more weight is put on the shoulders.
The lower adjustment of the shoulder harness is done using two, virtually indestructible, welded steel D-rings which also offer a means of quick release by pulling the attached webbing handles upwards.
And once more, also the hip belt was designed from scratch instead of just copying some ancient Finnish military design. The hip belt is thoroughly padded and topped with PALS webbing for pouch attachment. The big lower back pillow can be opened up for the hip belt to be tucked away when you dont want to use it. The construction is overall really strongly padded and rigid.
Modular and configurable
Overall volume and many other features of the rucksack are easily modified according to user specific needs:
- Tie-down straps: by running a couple of utility straps through the vertical attachment points on the back you can easily tie a sleeping mat or similar bundles to the far back of the pack.
- Side pouches: add a few XL utility pouches for extra pack volume and added organizing options.
- Hip belt: attach a bunch of pouches here for easy access to critical gear.
- Daypack lid: a quick-detach top lid which transforms into a small daypack, possibly the smartest way of integrating a daypack into your sustainment load. Take a look at our illustrated tutorial on the subject: Särmä TST backpack use as daypack lids
- Cargo panel: such as the Särmä TST Modular Beavertail a very simple and versatile addition which allows you to attach and compress all kinds of extra gear on the outside of the main pack.
Made of the same materials and hardware (1000D Cordura, webbing, ITW Nexus buckles etc.) that are used in the production of the Finnish military M05 combat equipment. High quality, totally NIR compliant and all that, naturally.
Särmä TST is Varusteleka's own in-house brand of clothing and gear designed for military and law enforcement end users. Our clothing and equipment are made in co-operation with a number of experienced manufacturers with a strong background in producing clothing and gear for military and law enforcement officials, most notably for the Finnish Defence Forces. For further reading check out the Särmä TST corner of our website.
Särmä TST products are covered by a 12-month warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. For further information please read our detailed warranty guide.
Made in Finland and Estonia
These manufactured in co-operation with Finn-Savotta Oy (Finlands leading military and outdoors gear manufacturer and the main load bearing equipment contractor for the Finnish Defence forces). Depending on the situation production runs are sewn either in Savotta's Finnish or Estonian factory, sometimes even partially in Finland and partially in Estonia. The little printed tags tell where exactly each particular product was sewn.
Särmä TST RP80 recon pack assembly and adjustmentWe recommend reading this.
Särmä TST backpack use as daypack lidsWe recommend reading this.
Varusteleka's brands 12 month warrantyWe recommend reading this.
Särmä TST RP80 main pack
Savotta Jääkäri L rucksack
Savotta LJK rucksack
Berghaus Crusader 90+20 III rucksack
Savotta Kevyt Rajapartio rucksack
Finnish M05 rucksack, large
Särmä TST CP15 Combat pack
Särmä TST padded shoulder straps
ITW GT QASM
Särmä TST Thermal cloak
Särmä TST General purpose pouch XL
Särmä TST Modular Beaver Tail
Särmä TST General purpose pouch S
Särmä TST Flat Shoulder Straps
Särmä TST General purpose pouch L
Särmä TST General purpose pouch M
Särmä TST Utility strap, pair
Särmä sternum strap
Särmä TST Backpack cover
You have already submitted a review. You can edit your text by clicking on it.
Log in and write a review.
Jacob H. 07.02.2019
Miikka V. 05.03.2019
Hyvin on rakennettu, ei ole kovallakaan käytöllä mennyt rikki ja on nähnyt mualimoo.
Farasha E. 12.03.2019
Foong H. 10.08.2019
Also, do update the assembly instruction. Some part of the bag is slightly different and took me more time to figure it out.
Kenneth V. 23.09.2019 (Edited 27.10.2019)
Modulaarien osto hyvin suotavaa.