Finnish sleeping mat
Now, if there's something the Finnish army can do right, it's the sleeping gear. Our kip mat is the best one we've ever seen, to be honest. These are made by the official army contractor, Savotta. You can see from the price you've got quality coming.
Admittedly a traditional sleeping mat is OK, but if you want to take it a few steps further, try this:
- The 1,2 cm thick foam keeps cold away and cushions just enough.
- 25 cm wide foldable extensions on both sides and a 20 cm long one on the foot end. These are super - you won't touch the wet ground even if you slip while asleep...
- ...which is unlikely, thanks to good friction on the top of the mat.
- Length 190 cm (+ 20 cm), width 50 cm (+ 50 cm), weight 1 kg.
- Elastic loops to secure the mat - you won't be needing extra straps to keep this rolled. You can also use the loops to secure the mat to the rucksack, like some of us did in the army. If you did this wrong, the mat constantly banged against the back of your helmet, which is something that god fairly annoying on a long tab.
- Made of very high quality materials. These are meant to work in Finnish weather conditions, which are very cold when they're not otherwise wet and nasty.
- The workmanship is also top notch, and to the best of our knowledge fill the army requirements. Well OK, you wouldn't expect any less from a kip mat this expensive.
Compared to inflatable mats, the advantage of a "traditional" foam mat is the impeccable durability and ease of use. These won't mind if you happen to shove them into something sharp.
SWEAR TO GOD HONEST test video:
Made by Savotta, made in Finland
These are the same stuff Savotta makes for the Finnish military, the only difference is in the tags where the official FDF "castle" has been left out. Bombproof, high quality kit!
Kaira Arctic sleeping mat
Carinthia Defence 4 sleeping bag
Savotta LJK rucksack
Finnish M05 rucksack, large
Särmä TST Utility strap, pair
Särmä TST General purpose pouch L
Särmä TST General purpose pouch XL
Mil-Tec field pillow, self inflating
Carinthia compression bag
Särmä TST Modular multi purpose strap, 2-piece
Särmä TST General purpose pouch M
Särmä TST Tarp, M05 woodland camo
Finnish Canteen, 1 l
Jerven Fjellduken Hunter
You have already submitted a review. You can edit your text by clicking on it.
Log in and write a review.
Patrik A. 24.03.2017
PettuLeipä 09.09.2017 (Edited 09.09.2017)
+ Kangas solumuovin päällä tekee tästä periaatteessa tuhoutumattoman.
+ made in finland
Ja ne pakolliset miinukset
Kysytte varmaan, että miksi pitäisi maksaa huima hinta painavasta patjasta? Tässä Vastaus: Se sattumoisin vaan on paras makuualusta koskaan.
David F. 16.01.2018
Pasi K. 17.02.2018
Juho R. 31.05.2018
Kalle H. 08.06.2018
Kyljellään ollessa lonkassa tuntuu, mutta ei kai tää paljo paksumpikaan voi olla.
Simon S. 15.06.2018
Tish T. 24.06.2018 (Edited 18.08.2018)
Johan G. 03.07.2018
Stuart S. 21.07.2018
Buy one. Just don't tell the Mrs how much you paid for it!
Kalle L. 16.09.2018
Mika K. 27.02.2019
Farasha E. 11.03.2019
Ben M. 25.04.2019
Joshua A. 18.05.2019
Rolls up fairly small, comfortably fits under even small 30 litre packs, the elastic is way stronger than you'd think too. Yes this is expensive but really you're getting a massive upgrade on the normal foam mats and it'll last forever. Get one.
Chris K. 27.05.2019
Johnny H. 05.07.2019
Zsolt K. 21.08.2019