Carinthia Tropen sleeping bag
The perfect summertime sleeping bag, the Tropen is designed for comfort in warm temperatures, it's highly breathable, very lightweight and equipped with a mosquito net! Top of the line military quality for heavy use!
- One season bag: Comfort 5° C
- Weight just a bit over one kilogram, depending on the size
- Military grade materials
- Built-in insect net
Unlike Carinthia's Defence series of sleeping bags the Tropen is not waterproof, which makes it very, very breathable which is a key point in keeping you comfortable when sleeping out in warm weather. The breathability also makes Tropen the perfect liner bag - stuff this into another bag (Carinthias Defence 4 for example) and you have a very, very warm combo that keeps you warm in extreme temperatures. The Tropen and Defence 4 can be packed into the compression sack of the latter and the zippers are positioned differently to minimize heat loss. Overall a very nice combo!
Comes with a compression bag, which packs both height- and lengthwise.
Bag model and features
The mummy shape: Here the criteria of stuff size, weight and warmth are most important. The tapered foot section reduces weight and stuff size. The main advantage is, however, that from the knee downwards there is increasingly less internal volume to keep warm. The foot section should not be so small that the feet cause the layers of insulation to poke out. A trapezoidal foot section has proven to be ideal. A wedge shape, declining evenly in width from top to bottom, does not fit the true proportions of the body.
Two-way zipper: All Carinthia military sleeping bags are equipped with a two way zipper. The glider on the top does not lock, allowing a quick step out if necessary (in case of alarm for example). The bottom glider does lock and can be opened for ventilation.
Trapezoidal foot section: Experience has shown that the trapezoidal cut provides the ultimate foot space. In a normal sleeping position, the feet do not poke the insulation outward, avoiding cold spots. There is also enough room to store a shoe bag or extra clothing.
The outer shell fits loosely over the bag innards, providing an extra insulating layer of air. This also eliminates heat loss due to seams combining the shell with the fillings. Overall this feature enhances the bags performance considerably!
- Shelltrans outer shell and lining - a soft to the skin ripstop reinforced, highly breathable polyamide with excellent moisture wicking capabilities.
- Thermoflect, a very thin, very lightweight aluminum material which reflects body heat. Thermoflect raises the sleeping bag's heat-retaining capacity by about 11 %.
- G-Loft filling - Carinthia's own, in-house "hollowfiber", made in Austria. Highly compressible, excellent weight-insulation ratio and also moisture resistant, meaning that it will work even under long-term use in damp conditions.
- Tropen uses single layered, lightweight G-Loft filling. In this lightweight design, the outer shell is loosely attached to the bag. The G-LOFT Plus filling is quilted to an insulating scrim. As a result, an additional air pocket is formed between the quilted insulation layer and the shell, yet no cold seams can occur.
Carinthia sleeping bags are not entirely PFC-free, but do have the Oeko-Tex certificate, Standard 100.
Temperature recommendations and size
- Comfort 5° C, Extreme -12° C, perfect for summer use and even some of the cooler nights, by adding a bivvy or liner bag you can take this into even colder places.
- Available in two sizes: 185 cm (weight 1100 g) and 200 cm (weight 1300 g).
Made by Carinthia
Carinthia is a well known sleeping bag and existence gear manufacturer. Outside of their homeland Austria they have equipped many European countries, including Scandinavia and our very own Finnish Defence Forces too! Carinthia manufactures their products in Moldova.
Sleeping bag size selection guideWe recommend reading this.
Carinthia Defence 1 sleeping bag
Carinthia sleeping bag liner
US Modular sleeping bag - Patrol bag, surplus
US Modular sleeping bag - Intermediate bag, surplus
Carinthia sleeping bag Gore-Tex cover
Carinthia Defence 4 sleeping bag
Särmä TST L6 Hardshell trousers
Särmä TST L3 Loft Jacket
Finnish M05 E-tool pouch
Carinthia Defence 6 sleeping bag
Finnish sleeping mat
BW folding sleeping mat, surplus
You have already submitted a review. You can edit your text by clicking on it.
Log in and write a review.
Manu S. 17.09.2016 (Edited 20.09.2016)
Timo V. 27.05.2017 (Edited 27.05.2017)
Valitettavasti vain verkon sulkeminen ja avaaminen on erittäin vaikeaa, vetskari jumittaa yms. Lisäksi makuupussin suuaukon säätimiin tai vetojetkuun ei pääse käsiksi verkon takaa vaan se on ensin "purettava" tieltä pois. Ja kun tähän yhdistää sen, että pussi hiostaa kuumina kesäöinä, niin eipä tee mieli ötökkäaikaan käyttää. Verkon materiaali on itsessäänkin ihan pirun huonosti hengittävää.
Mielummin nukkuu vaatteet päällä, pussi auki, Lekan nahkahanskat kädessä, hattu päässä ja hyttyshuppu hatun päällä kuin hikoilee tukahduttavassa pussissa perkeleellisen hankalasti yöllä pimeässä aukeavan tukahduttavan verkon alla.
Mutta hyvä pussi muuten.