Carinthia Defence 4 sleeping bag
These might also interest you
Carinthia sleeping bag Gore-Tex cover
A serious bivy cover for your sleeping bag. Made to comply with NATO standards, this Gore-Tex bag should meet any needs.
Carinthia sleeping bag liner
A lightweight sleeping bag liner, gives you a little bit of extra insulation and helps a lot with keeping your main sleeping bag: these are easy to wash without wearing out the filling of the actual sleeping bag.
Jerven Fjellduken Original
Heat reflecting, waterproof, simple and reliable, the Fjellduken Original, or Jerven Bag, is a tarp, poncho, bivvy bag and more all in one. This is what Norwegian hunters and soldiers have been using for the past 30 years, as the makers say "The wheel can not get any rounder!"
Carinthia Defence 6 sleeping bag
A real heavy duty arctic winter sleeping bag, the Defence 6 is designed for extremely cold conditions and is a sure bet for any northern climates!
Carinthia Defence 1 sleeping bag
The most lightweight bag in the Defence family, the Defence 1 is intended for summer and early autumn/spring, when the temperature stays at or above 0° C. Very lightweight and packs into a super tight bundle!
Savotta LJK rucksack
One of the best external frame rucksack ever made. Unlike conscripts, this rucksack can take serious beating and abuse without giving up the ghost.
Berghaus Crusader 90+20 rucksack
The successor of the legendary Crusader, this is the updated version of the old work horse, now with all the fancy little luxuries the 21st century has to offer! Lots of PALS attchment points, hydration bladder compartment etc.
Terävä Skrama, carbon steel
The Skrama is a versatile heavy duty bush knife - a tool that builds shelters, chops firewood and even carves feather sticks! If you're taking just one knife into the bush the Skrama is a viable option. This is naturally no axe, nor a precision tool for extremely meticulous work, but something in between and a solid and dependable companion above all.
Salomon Quest 4D GTX Forces, burro
The crossbreed of a sneaker and a mountain boot is just that - works well in rough terrain, but fits like a sneaker. Means it's possible to give a good sprint if necessary. Lined with Gore-Tex and has a bit of shaft too. "Military" colour scheme, i.e. black. A popular choice among many special forces etc. these days.
The Defence 4 may be Carinthias best all-around sleeping bag. Designed for cold and nasty weather, it's no surprise that (among others) also the Finnish army adopted this very model! This here is a reliable choice, designed for very demanding use!
The Defence sleeping bag series is designed for military use, the materials and overall properties are all made with that in mind.
Comes with a compression bag, which is compressionable both height and lengthwise.
- The mummy shape: Here the criteria of stuff size, weight and warmth are most important. The tapered foot section reduces weight and stuff size. The main advantage is, however, that from the knee downwards there is increasingly less internal volume to keep warm. The foot section should not be so small that the feet cause the layers of insulation to poke out. A trapezoidal foot section has proven to be ideal. A wedge shape, declining evenly in width from top to bottom, does not fit the true proportions of the body.
- Two-way zipper: All Carinthia military sleeping bags are equipped with a two way zipper. The glider on the top does not snag, allowing a quick step out if necessary (in case of alert for example). The glider on the down side does stick and can be opened for ventilation.
- Trapezoidal foot section: Experience has shown that the trapezoidal cut provides the ultimate foot space. In a normal sleeping position, the feet do not poke the insulation outward, avoiding cold spots. There is also enough room to store a shoe bag or extra clothing.
- The outer shell fits loosely over the bag innards, providing an extra insulating layer of air. This also eliminates heat loss due to seams combining the shell with the fillings. Overall this feature enhances the bags performance considerably!
- Shellproof outer shell - a lightweight, hard wearing, ripstop reinforced and PU coated polyamide which is both wind and waterproof (1000 mm) and yet breathable.
- Shelltrans lining - a soft to the skin ripstop reinfoced polyamide with excellent moisture wicking capabilities keeps you comfortable through the night.
- Thermoflect, a very thin, very lightweight aluminium material which reflects body heat. Thermoflect raises the sleeping bags heat retaining capacity by about 11 %.
- G-Loft filling - Carinthias own, in-house "hollowfiber", made in Austria. Highly compressible, excellent weight-insulation ratio and also moisture resistant, meaning that it will work even under long term use in damp conditions.
- Defence 4 uses double layered G-Loft filling. Two G-LOFT Plus insulation layers are arranged in such a way that the quilting is offset. The shell is attached afterwards, creating a further layer of air between the quilted insulation and the shell. With no stitch perforations in the shell, it is relatively water and airtight.
Temperature recommendations and size
- Comfort -15° C, Extreme -38° C, good enough for around the year use, when it gets really cold just add a liner or shell bag (we reommend the Defence 1).
- Available in two sizes: 185 cm (weight 1850 g, full length 200 cm) and 200 cm (weight 2000 g, full length 215 cm).
Made by Carinthia
Carinthia is a well known sleeping bag and existence gear manufacturer. Outside of their homeland Austria they have equipped many European countries, including scandinavia and our very own Finnish Defence Forces too! All of Carinthias products are made either in Austria or elsewhere in the EU, so quality, manufacturing ethics etc. are guaranteed!