Carinthia Defence 4 sleeping bag
The Defence 4 may be Carinthias best all-around sleeping bag. Designed for cold and nasty weather, it's no surprise that (among others) also the Finnish army adopted this very model! This here is a reliable choice, designed for very demanding use!
- Three season bag: Comfort -15° C
- Weight about two kilograms
- Military grade materials
The Defence sleeping bag series is designed for military use, the materials and overall properties are all made with that in mind.
Comes with a compression bag, which is compressionable both height and lengthwise.
- The mummy shape: Here the criteria of stuff size, weight and warmth are most important. The tapered foot section reduces weight and stuff size. The main advantage is, however, that from the knee downwards there is increasingly less internal volume to keep warm. The foot section should not be so small that the feet cause the layers of insulation to poke out. A trapezoidal foot section has proven to be ideal. A wedge shape, declining evenly in width from top to bottom, does not fit the true proportions of the body.
- Two-way zipper: All Carinthia military sleeping bags are equipped with a two way zipper. The glider on the top does not snag, allowing a quick step out if necessary (in case of alert for example). The glider on the down side does stick and can be opened for ventilation.
- Trapezoidal foot section: Experience has shown that the trapezoidal cut provides the ultimate foot space. In a normal sleeping position, the feet do not poke the insulation outward, avoiding cold spots. There is also enough room to store a shoe bag or extra clothing.
- The outer shell fits loosely over the bag innards, providing an extra insulating layer of air. This also eliminates heat loss due to seams combining the shell with the fillings. Overall this feature enhances the bags performance considerably!
- Shellproof outer shell - a lightweight, hard wearing, ripstop reinforced and specially treated polyamide which is both wind and waterproof (1000 mm), yet breathable.
- Shelltrans lining - a soft to the skin ripstop reinfoced polyamide with excellent moisture wicking capabilities keeps you comfortable through the night.
- Thermoflect, a very thin, very lightweight aluminium material which reflects body heat. Thermoflect raises the sleeping bags heat retaining capacity by about 11 %.
- G-Loft filling - Carinthias own, in-house "hollowfiber", made in Austria. Highly compressible, excellent weight-insulation ratio and also moisture resistant, meaning that it will work even under long term use in damp conditions.
- Defence 4 uses double layered G-Loft filling. Two G-LOFT Plus insulation layers are arranged in such a way that the quilting is offset. The shell is attached afterwards, creating a further layer of air between the quilted insulation and the shell. With no stitch perforations in the shell, it is fairly water resistant and free of unintended ventilation.
Carinthia sleeping bags are not entirely PFC-free, but do have the Oeko-Tex certificate, Standard 100.
Temperature recommendations and size
- Comfort -15° C, Extreme -38° C, good enough for around the year use, when it gets really cold just add a liner or shell bag (we reommend the Defence 1).
- Available in two sizes: 185 cm (weight 1850 g, full length 200 cm) and 200 cm (weight 2000 g, full length 215 cm).
Made by Carinthia
Carinthia is a well known sleeping bag and existence gear manufacturer. Outside of their homeland Austria they have equipped many European countries, including Scandinavia and our very own Finnish Defence Forces too! Carinthia manufactures their products in Moldova.
Sleeping bag size selection guideWe recommend reading this.
Carinthia sleeping bag liner
British modular "Defence 4" sleeping bag, surplus
Mil-Tec 3D Hollowfiber sleeping bag
Carinthia Defence 1 sleeping bag
US Modular sleeping bag - Patrol bag, surplus
Carinthia Tropen sleeping bag
DD SuperLight Tarp
Berghaus Crusader 90+20 III rucksack
DD Underblanket for hammocks
Terävä Skrama, carbon steel
British modular "Tropen" sleeping bag, surplus
British modular sleeping bag liner, surplus
Savotta LJK rucksack
Carinthia sleeping bag Gore-Tex cover
Finnish sleeping mat
Jerven Fjellduken Original
Carinthia Defence 6 sleeping bag
You have already submitted a review. You can edit your text by clicking on it.
Log in and write a review.
Timo S. 16.10.2017
Ville L. 02.11.2017
Pasi K. 01.03.2018
Mathias D. 24.05.2018
Vesa H. 01.10.2018
Chris K. 04.09.2019
Juha-Pekka A. 08.12.2019 (Edited 09.12.2019)