Carinthia Defence 1 sleeping bag
The most lightweight bag in the Defence family, the Defence 1 is intended for summer and early autumn/spring, when the temperature stays at or above 0° C. Very lightweight and packs into a super tight bundle!
- Two season bag: Comfort 3° C
- Weight one kilogram, depending on the size
- Military grade materials
The Defence sleeping bag series is designed for military use, the materials and overall properties are all made with that in mind.
Bag model and features
The mummy shape: Here the criteria of stuff size, weight and warmth are most important. The tapered foot section reduces weight and stuff size. The main advantage is, however, that from the knee downwards there is a decreasing amount of extra volume to warm up. The foot section should not be so small that the feet cause the layers of insulation to poke out. A trapezoidal foot section has proven to be ideal. A wedge shape, declining evenly in width from top to bottom, does not fit the true proportions of the body.
Two-way zipper: All Carinthia military sleeping bags are equipped with a two-way zipper. The glider on the top does not lock, allowing a quick step out if necessary (in case of alert for example). The bottom glider does lock and can be opened for ventilation.
Trapezoidal foot section: Experience has shown that the trapezoidal cut provides the ultimate foot space. In a normal sleeping position, the feet do not poke the insulation outward, avoiding cold spots. There is also enough room to store a shoe bag or extra clothing.
The outer shell fits loosely over the bag innards, providing an extra insulating layer of air. This also eliminates heat loss due to seams combining the shell with the fillings. Overall this feature enhances the bags performance considerably!
Defence 1 model does not have attachment loops for a liner bag. A liner can still be used, of course, it's just not fixed to the bag. Comes with a compression bag, which is can be compressed both ways.
- Shellproof outer shell - a lightweight, hard wearing, ripstop reinforced and specially treated polyamide which is both wind and waterproof (1000 mm), yet breathable.
- Shelltrans lining - a soft to the skin ripstop reinforced polyamide with excellent moisture wicking capabilities keeps you comfortable through the night.
- Thermoflect, a very thin, very lightweight aluminum material which reflects body heat. Thermoflect raises the sleeping bags heat-retaining capacity by about 11 %.
- G-Loft filling - Carinthia's own, in-house "hollowfiber", made in Austria. Highly compressible, excellent weight-insulation ratio and also moisture resistant, meaning that it will work even under long-term use in damp conditions.
- Defence 1 uses single layered, lightweight G-Loft filling. In this lightweight design, the outer shell is loosely attached to the bag. The G-LOFT Plus filling is quilted to an insulating scrim. As a result, an additional air pocket is formed between the quilted insulation layer and the shell, yet no cold seams can occur.
Carinthia sleeping bags are not entirely PFC-free, but do have the Oeko-Tex certificate, Standard 100.
Temperature recommendations and size
- Comfort 3° C, Extreme -12° C, perfect for summer use and even some of the cooler nights, by adding a bivvy or liner bag you can take this into even colder places.
- 185 cm, shoulder width 83 cm, packed size 18 x 25 cm, weight 1050 g
- 200 cm, shoulder width 87 cm, packed size 18 x 28 cm, weight 1200 g
Pro tip: use the Defence 1 as an insulating liner with the Defence 4 bag to create a winter sleeping bag combo! They can be packed together into the compression bag of the latter, making for a simple and versatile system.
Made by Carinthia
Carinthia is a well known sleeping bag and existence gear manufacturer. Outside of their homeland Austria they have equipped many European countries, including Scandinavia and our very own Finnish Defence Forces too! Carinthia manufactures their products in Moldova.
Sleeping bag size selection guideWe recommend reading this.
Carinthia Tropen sleeping bag
Carinthia sleeping bag liner
Carinthia Defence 4 sleeping bag
Finnish sleeping mat
Särmä TST General purpose pouch M
Finnish M05 E-tool pouch
DD SuperLight Tarp
DD Underblanket for hammocks
Mil-Tec sleeping bag liner, olive drab
DD Whoopie Slings
Savotta LJK rucksack
Terävä Skrama, carbon steel
Carinthia Defence 6 sleeping bag
Jerven Fjellduken Original
Carinthia sleeping bag Gore-Tex cover
Berghaus Vulcan rucksack
You have already submitted a review. You can edit your text by clicking on it.
Log in and write a review.
does not recommend
Marko J. 15.04.2017
Anonyymi k. 02.05.2017
Pasi K. 31.05.2017 (Edited 08.05.2018)
Otto S. 04.06.2017 (Edited 28.03.2019)
Henrik P. 14.06.2017 (Edited 14.06.2017)
Sebastian V. 18.04.2018
Kalle L. 16.09.2018
Tish T. 26.09.2018
Farasha E. 11.03.2019
Jyrki L. 22.04.2019
Anonymous customer 04.08.2019 (Edited 04.08.2019)
Annetut speksit ei tunnu kuitenkaan pitävän ihan paikkaansa. Pienemmässä koossa (185) paino on lähempänä 1200 g annetun 1050 g sijaan ja kompressiopussin kanssa jo lähemmäksi 1300 g. Myös 3° C comfort tuntuu olevan hieman optimistinen arvio. Lämpökerraston, sukkien ja pipon kanssa oli 5° C ihan okei nukkua, mutta pelkällä pussilla olisi kyllä tullut kylmä, vaikka yleensä enneminkin hikoilen öisin. Lämpö-painosuhteeltaan löytyy siis kyllä parempiakin pusseja tähän hintaan, mutta tää on musta silti paljon mukavampi kuin monet muut pussit, joita olen testannut.