Särmä TST RP80 recon pack assembly and adjustmentShare on facebook
The pictured RP80 is an early production piece, some details such as buckles and has changed since then but the assembly is done exactly as described in this tutorial.
- A: Pack bag
- B: Frame
- C: Shoulder harness
- D: Hip belt
- E: 4 pcs carbon rod
- F: 1 pcs long turnbuckle (hip belt)
- G: 1 pcs short turnbuckle (shoulder harness)
- Wrap the hip belt (D) around the bottom of the frame (B).
- Place the turnbuckles's (F) ring ends into their respective slots as pictured.
- Install the carbon rods (E and E) into their respective slots so that they run through the ring ends of the turnbuckle.
- Attach the bottom straps (1 and 2) to the lowest horizontal support pipe of the frame.
- Attach the top straps (3 and 4) to the upper horizontal support pipe of the frame.
- Finish off by tightening the turnbuckle (F).
- Wrap the shoulder harness (C) around the frame (B).
- Install the carbon rods and short turnbuckle (E, G and E).
- Attach the wide bottom strap (1) to the frame's (B) horizontal support pipe.
Do not tighten the turnbuckle yet at this point, that will be done after height adjustment.
Attach the shoulder harness load lifters (1 and 2) to the frame (B).
- Loop the shoulder harness bottom attachment straps (C) around the frame's (B) bottom corners (1).
- Thread the upper ends of the bottom attachment straps (C) through the buckles on the shoulder harness (2).
The RP80 carry system is adjustable for users from 160 up to 200 cm tall.
To adjust the back length you move the shoulder harness assembly up or down by adjusting the wide attachment/adjustment strap (1).
By attaching the shoulder harness attachment/adjustment strap to the frame's lowest horizontal support pipe (A2) instead of the middle support pipe (A1) you can adjust the back length down to the minimum recommended user height of 160 cm.
Move the metal buckles (2) on top of the shoulder harness so that they are centered on top of the center of your shoulders or a little bit towards your back. This is very important for the shoulder harness to fit properly!
Lift the assembled frame onto your back and try it on. You want the shoulder padding to wrap neatly around your shoulders so that there are no gaps between your back and the padding. When you have found the correct height adjustment tighten the turnbuckle.
Pack bag attachment
Attach the pack bag's bottom straps (1 and 2) to the frame's (B) horizontal support pipe.
- Stick the top "horns" of the frame (B) through the webbing loops on the pack bag (1 and 2).
- Attach the straps and buckles around the frame (2 and 3).
Attach the straps and buckles around the frame (1 and 2). Note that these attach below the nearest horizontal support piece of the frame.
Attach the pack bag's bottom attachment straps (A) around the bottom corners of the frame (1 and 2).
Done! Get out there already!
We recommend loosening the turnbuckles if the pack is not used for extended periods of time.