Varusteleka's Midsummer BingoShare on Facebook
The Midsummer weekend is now behind us and the winners have been raffled
Close but no cigar - this year five people drowned in Finland during the Midsummer weekend. While each drowning is too much this is still a reasonably low number, so well done! In terms of the main prize, this means that the fortunate winner now gets 100 € worth of shopping money to Varusteleka.
Here are the winners:
- 100 € gift card: Emma U.
- Särmä Light Wool Check Shirt: George S. and Kaarlo K.
- Särmä Adventure Leggings: Anna M. and Anna M. (No joke, the raffling app really did pick two winners with the same name.)
Congrats to all the winners and thanks to all who participated!
Midsummer what now?
Midsummer (Juhannus in Finnish) marks the exodus of Finns from the city to their lakeshore summer houses. While Finns enjoy spending time with their family and friends on this national holiday, there is a gloomier side to the story as well. This is often the weekend that the largest number of drownings are recorded in Finland.
Guessing how many people drown during Midsummer is a popular pastime at Finnish workplaces. We wanted to invite everyone to participate in the fun, hence the Midsummer bingo.
Don’t Be a Statistic!
Our bingo gently reminds us all that most drownings could be avoided if only we acted a little more wise and civilized. Maybe didn’t drink quite so heavily or, at least, stayed on solid ground after doing so. We should always wear a life vest when on a boat, and take a friend with us when we go swimming. With these little seemingly obvious deeds, the number of drownings could be greatly reduced.
To motivate us all not to drown, our main prize, a Varusteleka gift card, is more valuable the fewer people drown. The main prize is raffled off between the participants who get the number of drownings right. Starting from 1000 € if no one drowns and diminishing as follows:
|Number of drowned people:||Prize|
|0 persons||1000 € gift card|
|1 person||750 € gift card|
|2 persons||500 € gift card|
|3 persons||350 € gift card|
|4 persons||150 € gift card|
|5 persons||100 € gift card|
|More than 5 persons||50 € gift card|
This year we have great additional prizes as well. We are raffling off two Särmä Light Wool Check Shirts and two Särmä Adventure Leggings among all the participants. These are novelty items that are not even on sale yet. The winner will be able to decide which size and color they want.
The participation time has ended for this year.
- Fill in the form with your name and contact information, and guess the number of people drowning in Finland during Midsummer this year.
- A temporary register will be created and the information used for announcing the results and contacting the winners. The register will be purged after the raffle.
- The participation form will close on 23th of June 4 pm UTC+3. You may participate only once!
- We will check the number of drowned people from the most reliable Finnish yellow press newspaper, Iltalehti, on the following Monday, 27th of June. The winners will be contacted on 28th of June.
- The main prize will be raffled off among those who guessed the correct number of drownings. In case no there are no right answers, the winner will be randomly picked from all the participants and rewarded a € 100 gift card. The additional prizes will be raffled among all the participants. The winners will be contacted through e-mail after the raffle.
- The first name and the first letter of the last name of the winners may be published on Varuseleka's web site, social media and newsletter.
- You are allowed to save people from drowning in Finland, but it's strictly forbidden to try to influence the number by drowning yourself or other people. If the winner has drowned in Finland or is suspected of drowning someone in Finland, we'll select another winner. Drowning yourself or others in another country does not affect the outcome.